We can probably all agree that cherries are the best when eaten fresh & in season with nothing else and us Canadians we agree that BC Bing cherries are the one and only we want!
If you feel like enjoying a light European style cheese cake with this amazing fruit, do what i did today and bake one!
Really easy and light (also fast), but I have to warn you, not very sweet as I use minimal sugar in the batter! What makes up for it is the delicious flavour of ricotta and butter!
1. 4 eggs in a bowl;
2. add 1/2 cup sugar (some brown & some white mix) and some vanilla extract;
3. beat it well with an electric mixer and stop when light in colour & fluffed up;
4. add and blend in well with the mixer: 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder and melted 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 1 cup luke warm milk;
5. add gently and with a spatula 500g of ricotta cheese;
6. pour batter into a baking dish (9 x 12 inch, sprayed with a non-stick greese) and add pitted cherries (about 5 cups);
7. sprinkle with a crumb topping;
- melt 8 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan;
- add even amounts of flour and confectioner sugar (3/4 cup each);
- blend well.
DONE! (after about 40 min in the oven, do a tooth pick test)
SERVE AS IS!